Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Off Beat: British Gus Johnson....Other Great Moments in British Announcing


At about 8:30 last night I received this text from my former roommate and teammate David Sigmon: "Dude! Do you have NBATV?".

At that moment, a couple of thoughts ran through my mind. My first decidedly cynical thought was as follows: Sigmon is a soulless Kobe Bryant fan (redundant I know) and F him because it's going to be a replay of Game 7 of this year's final. If I had to see Pau Gasol getting away with that "up-and-down" travel for the critical basket again I might go into Mel-Gibson mode. My second, "glass-half-full" thought was: eh what the heck this could be something good.

Thankfully, for my sanity and a very enjoyable next hour and a half it was the latter and I was treated to a viewing experience alternately bizarre, wretched and hilarious, but always entertaining. That would be the uneven announcing performance of the man featured in the first 6 or so minutes of this clip(at his best in the Slovenia-Croatia highlights 4 minutes in). The bubbly British friend I affectionately have dubbed "British Gus Johnson" after the man who puts the madness in March Madness(skip to 1:30 if you want to see what I mean).

The highlight reel doesn't quite do the man justice in showing only his unbridled enthusiasm as it skirts over the more common entertainment that occurred because the announcer was 1) quite uniquely British (in mannerisms, dialect, and diction) 2) controlling a one-man booth and sporting a droll inner dialogue with no filter 3) unwilling to ever let the pictures speak for themselves. Half the time, our British friend awkwardly bumbled through the game incorporating some truly inane soliloquies including my favorite one that occurred at the outset of the fourth quarter when the clock was mistakenly set at 9:59. Talking completely to himself he said "Well, I hope it doesn't come down to a last second shot...oh, actually (insert smuggest, most British tone possible) I hope it does".

At the time, on occasion I thought he was butchering the game with some truly irrelevant and gratuitous commentary (e.g. "Barbosa slipped on the floor and there no doubt is a lot of perspiration.... and now, yes, they come to clean up"). On the other hand, even when he making a mess of things it was entertaining. After all, I was engaged even though I not only knew who won and the game was no masterpiece.

As we learned from their wild popularity in the World Cup, American audiences are drawn to the quirks and accents of British announcers. They took over soccer announcing to wide acclaim in this period with many tuning in more for their voices than for the action itself. Myself and many others would prefer that they take over track and now, as they'd say "my word" or "goodness me", maybe...basketball? Don't tell me that you wouldn't love to hear this guy sharing the booth with Jeff Van Gundy. Inspired by his high pitched shriek of glee at 4:33, I've compiled some videos of great moments in British Track Announcing. I hope you enjoy.

In all seriousness, though, the reason the British are better at announcing track and soccer in my mind is their preparation and professionalism. Unlike their American counterparts, they don't bumble around with names and act lost when the race/match doesn't follow a preconceived storyline. The enthusiasm bred from years in the sport and their comprehension of what constitutes greatness also helps as they know when they are witnessing something spectacular and authenticizes it when they sell the moment accordingly.

Below are some of my favorite races to watch with the Brits at their finest-

"Fourth Place, those blue eyes like chips of ice"- yes that would be a good place to start, and Dave Coleman is like the Vin Scully of old-school track and field:

Can't help but love the sound of the announcer here as Moorcroft crosses the line...Is that defiance and rage?

I said British not English, and the accents alone carry this one, not to mention the extraordinary track knowledge between the two men.

This record is mind-boggling and the announcers who weren't exactly slouches themselves, Tim Hutchings and Steve Cram, made sure you understood just how incredible it was with their candor.

This was just a great finish, and at the time it struck me how much better the British crew's call was then the Americans for Universal Sports.

Got any videos to add, or experiences with British Gus Johnson? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. ah man, how could I forget: Brian Rhodes Devey from Guilderland! http://www.dyestat.com/3us/6in/hispanic/r-boys.html

    ReplyDelete